Friday, March 21, 2014

Addiction (Reasons why I run)

Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen, to PWG!

Today's topic is addiction. Sometimes it's difficult to see how this corellates with running, but if you have already "caught the running bug", you can understand.

*Mostly, this will be a background info post. If you already know who I am, or if you don't quite have any personal interest, this entry is best left skipped.*


I have an addictive personality. When I drink, I drink in excess. Usually until I pass out or can't walk anymore. Whenever I pick up smoking, I usually have difficulty quitting for months. The few times I have gambled, I wound up going to the ATM to withdraw more money. And I'm not even gonna start with the subject of sex. With that said, it wasn't hard for me to get addicted to the endorphins released after a good run.

Hello, my name is Scott, and I'm a run-a-holic.

It's been 10 hours since my last run, which was 4 miles. I have no intention of quitting this habit, this addiction. I know that I need the Run more than the Run needs me.

I don't have many reasons for why I run. It's not for the health benefits. I have horrible eating habits, and I smoke about half a pack a day normally. Like I said, addictive personality.

I don't do it out of competitive nature. I'm not a competitive guy.

There's only 3 reasons why I run.

1.) Previously mentioned, I'm addicted to the endorphins caused by running. This chemical reaction in my brain has helped me through difficult times, and has helped me sort out some very frustrating thoughts.

2.) I love to prove people wrong. This mentality is the main reason I started running. I've met many people who have put every effort in discouraging me from running, in telling me that I can't do it, or that I'm doing it all wrong. It's self-absorbed of me to say this, but I thrive off the look on someone's face when I show them I could do something they genuinely believed was "impossible" for me.

3.) I do it because I can. Because, in reality, do you really need another reason to do anything?


Now, for those of you who stuck through with this rambling mess of an entry, I have a question for you:

Do you consider yourself a "runaholic"? If so, what, if any, are the main reasons you run?

1 comment:

  1. I dont categorize myself with an addictive personality, but I definatley give 150% at everything I do. So when it came to running, naturally I wanted to be faster, run farther, get better times. So I completely understand the mentality of "I cant wait for my next run." Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete