Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Best Run Ever

Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen, to PWG!

Today's topic is a run we consider to be our "best run". This could be an official race, a fun jog out in the park with family, or just a run around the block. The most important factor in a run being your "best" run, is you. How the run made you feel, what thoughts came through your head while you were running, what, in particular, the motivation was for that run.

Personally, my best run took place February last year. It was my last fun run before I went for a month long trip to the Philippines. It was raining pretty heavily that day, but I took that as reason to go over to the track and see how well I could do. I grabbed my gear (phone, jacket, trackpants, and vibrams), and jogged the half mile to the track. Once I got to the track, I started hearing thunderclaps, and the rain came down harder. I got goosebumps. I popped in my headphones, turned the music up, and just ran.

I slipped, tripped, splashed, and grinned like an idiot throughout the entire run, which wound up being 8 miles on the track. My headphones slipped out halfway through, and I finished the run just listening to my footfalls, and the sound of the rain and thunder rushing down from the clouds. During that single hour, I felt more at one with the world than I have my entire life, and to this day, I use that single run to motivate myself to run harder and farther than I had not expected myself to go just a few years ago.

That run was the first (and so far only) time I had ever managed to run a sub-8 minute mile, and I finished the entire 8 miles at 1 hour and 16 minutes. Now, everytime it starts to rain outside, I get extremely eager to go outside and run.


So, tell me, readers, do you have a run you consider to be your "best" run? Feel free to tell me in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. Best run, I think at this point that would have to be my first official race December of last year. I ran a good time but the best part about it was backtracking along the course, catching up with my Fiance, and we were able to cross together. Really was a special moment for us.

    ReplyDelete