Friday, March 14, 2014

Blood, Sweat, and Tears

First of all, if you're reading this, Welcome to Pant, Wheeze, Groan: A Runner's Blog! (for future entries, I'm shortening it to PWG) I tend to come up with uplifting or motivational thoughts during or post run, and it's a little difficult to keep them short and sweet, so I decided to start this up.

For my first entry, I've decided to talk about... well, picking up running for the first time. I can remember the first run that made me realize how much fun it actually can be to have an active lifestyle.

On that run, I was barely able to manage running a mile. I had no form, no running shoes, and no idea what I was doing. I ran in a pair of steel toe shoes, a regular t-shirt, and an extremely loose fitting pair of cargo shorts. Yes, this was in high school, and no, this was not my first ever run. I was trying to lose weight to join the military. Even with a complete lack of information or "proper" running attire, I still managed to enjoy myself, even if I was going at a 16-min. pace for a single mile. I had managed to pant, wheeze, and groan my way to my first ever runner's high, and from that point on, I was hooked. Well, for a little while. I didn't get really into running until just over a year ago.

A year ago, I was, again, trying to lose weight, and I wanted to do it my way. I slipped on my running shoes for the first time since I had injured myself six months before, and went for a nice little mile jog. That jog turned into a 1/2 mile jog to the nearby track, 2 miles on the track, and then 1/2 a mile back. I got back to my room feeling like a champion, like I could do anything, and even now, a year and some months later, I still get that feeling every time I finish a run. No matter how long or short, how high or low, how fast or slow I've gone, I come back knowing that I'm improving, one step at a time.


So, I guess now is question time. Today's question, for those of you reading, is Do you remember your first run, and, if so, how did it impact your life (if at all)?

Thank you for reading, ladies and gents, and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment