Friday, April 4, 2014

Silence.

Busy couple of weeks. Barely had time to run at all this week, so I didn't really have much to say, but I figured it was about time I updated this.

Today's topic is Noise. Or Music, or just silence.

Okay, I'm gonna start that over.

Today's topic is Music: Why or Why Not to Use it When Running.
Personally, I run to music all the time. I know the good sides to it, as well as some of the bad sides. I'm gonna explain why I run to music, and my personal responses to people arguing against running with music. I'll also list some of my favorite songs to run to.


I run with music for 3 reasons.

1) Music is a passion of mine. I do everything to music. Walk, run, play video games, read, study, whatever it is I do, I have music in the backround. Music makes things fun. Period.

2) The change in the tones of music helps me speed up or slow down. A fast song will have a faster pace to run to, a slow one will have, you guessed it, a slower pace, so you can catch your breath a little bit more.

3) Music is a fantastic distraction. When my feet begin to feel like raw hamburger after pounding the ground for a long run, it's nice to know that, at least, for the moment, I won't have to think about it.


Now, here's some criticism I've gotten from "more experienced runners" who are against running with music, and my responses.

"A real runner doesn't need music to run."
My response: "Running is supposed to be fun and relaxing. Everyone has their own running style, but just because someone has a differing style from you doesn't make them any less of a runner."

"Running with headphones in is dangerous"
My response: "It's only dangerous if you don't use your other senses: sight, smell, taste, touch and, my favorite, common sense."

"You look like an idiot with those headphones in."
My response: "What?! I can't hear you over the sound of me passing you by. Also, this is my JAM!"

Okay, so that last one never happened, but I've always wanted to use that comeback.


Last, but not least, my top 5 running songs. Give them a listen if you'd like.

5.) Gravity by Hit the Lights
4.) Dare by Gorillaz
3.) Chainsaw by Family Force 5
2.) Anthem for the Underdog by 12 Stones
1.) Ambulance Chaser  by Search the City


That's it for today. Question for you guys:

"Do you run to music? If so, what is your go-to running song?"

No comments:

Post a Comment